Thursday, February 12, 2015

Common Beauty Myth: Brushing Your Hair 100 Times a Day

Written By: Shannon Boyce


Do you remember it? Every week it seemed that Marcia Brady would run a brush through her perfect golden hair. As she did so, she counted out loud..."Forty, forty one, forty two..." This picture perfect television character mesmerized young girls all over the country. It also taught us one of the most popular beauty myths of all time. What was this myth? That brushing your hair 100 times before bed would make your hair appear shiny and healthy. After all, wasn't that how Marcia Brady snagged those gorgeous locks?



As a child, I believed that brushing my hair would make all the difference. I idolized Marcia Brady and thought that this fictional character knew best. Desperate to score beauty (and TV worthy() hair of my very own, I would end my day in the exact same way night after night. I grabbed my brush and counted every single stroke until I reached 100. This ritual went on for years. Though my hair hadn't transformed into silky and gorgeous, I had to brush my hair 100 times each night. I wasn't alone. This is one of the most common hair mistakes that women make.

So, Marcia Brady was wrong. 100 brush strokes won't make your hair look gorgeous. In fact, it has actually been found to do more harm than good. It was found that excessive brushing could cause breakage to the hair. Not to mention static and dryness. A far better solution is to brush your hair gently. This will distribute natural oils from your scalp, giving it the illusion of shiner locks. It will also stimulate blood circulation. Extra brushing won't do more of this...it will simply increase your risk of hair damage and breakage.


There is such a thing as too much of a good thing! Especially when it comes to your hair. We all want gorgeous, shiny, healthy locks. To make sure it happens, leave this beauty myth in the past once and for all. It won't do your beauty routine any favours! The solution? Use products that are designed to nourish your hair and brush gently. Even Marcia Brady would approve!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am happy for every comment and always try to answer everybody. If you are waiting for a reply, please check back, I will only answer questions on this blog. Please include your blog link so I can check it out, I love commenting and supporting new blogs! Thank you so much for stopping by! Every single comment is appreciated♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...