Saturday, September 06, 2014

This Summer I...


Well, it seems that summer is finally drawing to a close. And while I did spend quite a lot of time resting and catching up on my enormous reading list, I still kept busy!


For one thing, I got to see more of my best friend, Lauren (thebookwormcornerr.blogspot.com), than I normally do. We got together a couple of times a month to catch up on books, blogs, and life in general. We even talked about publishing her essay on The Fault In Our Stars by John Green, which she wrote for school, but after I proof-read it for her, I fell in love with it and insisted that she let me post it on my blog. Keep an eye out for it soon.

At the very beginning of summer, I found out that my favorite bookstore, which I've gone to since I was a little girl, would be moving into a smaller but cheaper building. I needed something to do in my spare time, and they certainly needed volunteers, so I offered to help out whenever possible. Doesn't sound like a big deal, right? Except it was. This bookstore had been located in the same building for over 24 years, and wasn't very organized. That meant there were several million books that needed to be marked (stamped on the inside cover), sorted, packed, and moved - all within the space of a month.

Eventually, as the end of the month drew closer, it became obvious that we needed more time to get everything out of the old building. So, we took two extra weeks to finish up. Everything after that was setting up the new store, including moving (mostly) ready and open for business. I still like to stop in a few times a week now, but less for work and more for enjoyment.

I'm so glad I had the opportunity to do that, because it really gave me a sense of how overwhelmingly hard it is to run a small business, especially one that's not doing so well. I met new people, made new friends, and even brought Lauren with me a few times.

Most importantly, I took time during the summer just for me. Sometimes I slept until 2 in the afternoon, and proceeded to do nothing but read all day. I took more naps than I could count, I spent hours in the pool, I ate more than my fair share of ice cream. But most of all, I did things that made me happy.

Lainey Lorio,

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am happy for every comment and always try to answer everybody. If you are waiting for a reply, please check back, I will only answer questions on this blog. Please include your blog link so I can check it out, I love commenting and supporting new blogs! Thank you so much for stopping by! Every single comment is appreciated♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...