Monday, January 20, 2014

Why I Love Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales


When we're little girls, Disney movies teach us about a charming prince who will sweep us off our feet and save the damsel in distress. They're overly-romanticized, usually archaically sexist movies that glaze over the more gruesome stories underneath. But they're still considered classic movies for girls of all ages.


Don't get me wrong, I love me some Tangled, and Beauty and the Beast? I'm there. Disney movies are pretty good, but you know what's better? Owning the original stories. A few months back, I went on a Disney spree, watching all the movies I never saw when I was a kid. After the third week or so of Cinderella, I had a sudden urge to buy Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales. As someone who's always loved to read and pore over books again and again, I decided it was high time I read the original tales, and bought myself a fancy-shmancy leather bound copy from Amazon.

The very first night the book was in my possession, I read through the original tales of some of my favorites. Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, etc. I've always heard how different the original fairy tales were, but I didn't realize how different until then. For example: In Cinderella, the stepsisters cut off bits of their feet to wear Cinderella's shoe, and eventually get their eyes pecked out by birds. Creepy, right? But you have to admit, it's 100 times more interesting than Cinderella riding off (predictably) with her prince into the sunset while her stepsisters glare jealously.

I've had my copy for a while now, but I haven't read all the stories. However, I love it because, despite the twisted plots of the stories (some of them are downright bone chilling), it's a great, interesting read. When I can't sleep at night, I like to read a tale or two until my mind wanders off into dreamland, and I eventually wake up with the book splayed across my chest, a bookmark waiting for me to pick up the story again.

Lainey L.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, some of the Disney versions are sexist and outdated. But they are classics because they teach other lessons, like about being kind, polite, brave, and good. That's why they are still so popular. Yes, some of the newer movies do all these things and also teach independence and such. But the old stories aren't just frivolous tales meant to trick little girls into being weak.

    ReplyDelete

I am happy for every comment and always try to answer everybody. If you are waiting for a reply, please check back, I will only answer questions on this blog. Please include your blog link so I can check it out, I love commenting and supporting new blogs! Thank you so much for stopping by! Every single comment is appreciated♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...