Thursday, December 12, 2013

Caring For Your Skin in the Winter

Caring for your skin during the seasons has it's challenges...that being said, as a Canadian girl, it is debatable that winter is one of the worst seasons for my skin!

Whether you are in a freezing climate or you are lucky enough to have "warm winters", I'm hoping some of my skin care (not so) secrets will help you stay flawless this holiday season!


Let's start with one of the most common skin care issues: Dry, flaky skin. Thankfully, there is a lot we can do to treat and prevent. I suggest replacing your store bought moisturizers with a natural oil (coconut is great, as it can also be used as sunscreen). The biggest advantage of this (other than the money you save) is that most moisturizers contain some amount of alcohol, which eventually dries the skin.

As I mentioned, coconut oil is a great sun screen, but if you are not going to use coconut oil you need to use sun screen! Even on the cloudiest day, the sun is still shining and UV rays are still there.

On to lips! Lips are an issue for many girls during these chilly months. The simplest thing you can do is keep them hydrated. Again, I suggest using an oil as they are packed with moisture and a small amount of nutrients.

Speaking of keeping hydrated - we need to make sure we stay super hydrated these months! Always make sure you are drinking enough water (and while you are at it, eating a healthy diet), as well as hydrating from the outside with a moisturizer.

As mentioned in my other post, Winter Hair Care, the heating in our homes (and elsewhere) dries the air, this will lead to a more likely chance we will get dry skin. I won't tell you to turn down your heat, but I will leave this information here and let you do what you like with it.

The same can be said for baths and showers, the head can dry our skin. That's why colder and quicker showers are suggested. I know personally, this is one tip I will not be following, but I'm here to tell you what I know!

While in the bath, add a little moisturizing priorities, I suggest milk (high in protein) or coconut water (super good for our skin) and remember to exfoliate, changing your soap may also be a good idea. Thanks to Dove, most of us know that soap can dry our skin. I personally (surprisingly) find their baby soap great for washing (and for after a tattoo!). It is also suggested that, like your hair, you wash your body less. This is a little different for everyone, if you are in a high sweat job - we all encourage you to be clean! If you never sweat or smell and wash yourself more than once a day, you might want to think about cutting down on it.

Lastly, always bundle up!

Get yourself a facemask (the warm kind), gloves, a scarf and a hat. You don't need to wear your stuff everywhere, but if you are taking the dogs out for a pee at 3 in the morning, I am guessing no one will see you!

~Deanna

1 comment:

  1. I have tons of great products for winter skin care. Right now I am using a line called Jura which uses Indonesian botanicals and it is wonderful. I also make my own pure body butter by purchasing the raw butters and oils and mixing and whipping them together.

    http://diaryofatrendaholic.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete

I am happy for every comment and always try to answer everybody. If you are waiting for a reply, please check back, I will only answer questions on this blog. Please include your blog link so I can check it out, I love commenting and supporting new blogs! Thank you so much for stopping by! Every single comment is appreciated♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...