Saturday, August 24, 2013

What Is Beauty?

Written By: Shannon Boyce


The world can be an ugly place. Maybe that's why I fell in love with makeup. It was my own way of making the world a little bit, well...prettier. I haven't always been a makeup junkie, though. I was what they call a 'late bloomer' in every sense of the word. My love affair with makeup and beauty didn't begin until I was mid-way through university...but from then on, nothing was ever the same.


I remember how it all started. I was going on a trip to New York to see an actor I was completely enamoured with - and I wanted to look my best. So, I decided to give eyeliner a whirl. The first time I used it, it changed my life. No, really! I vividly remember grabbing the first black liner I could find from my local drugstore. Nervously, I took it home and holed myself up in the bathroom for ages. One (rather shaky) line later and I was a new woman. For the first time in my life, I didn't feel like that plain, shy, awkward girl I had always been. That moment signaled a new beginning for me. Makeup didn't just make me look better, it gave the confidence I needed to be my best self.


Since then, makeup, beauty, and fashion have become a huge part of my identity. Not only do I spend too much of my money feeding the habit, but I'm also a beauty Blogger. I combined my love of writing with my newly discovered love of makeup, fashion and beauty. Never in a million years would my teenaged-self have believed it! Somehow, I went from wearing zoo makeup to lusting over products at Sephora. It's amazing how things change.

Lately, I have been thinking a lot about beauty and what it means. This is probably because of a conversation I had with a friend not long ago. A little while back, I was on a weekend trip with a friend. As I hauled out my massive bag of 'essential' beauty products, she cringed. She simply couldn't understand why I needed it all. Couldn't I live without my expensive lotions, foundation, eyeliner, mascara, brow mousse, blush, eyeshadows, and all the rest, for one weekend? Did I really need it? When I said that yes, I needed it, she insisted that I was insecure. No ifs, ands or buts about it.


She was wrong. Putting on makeup isn't covering insecurity - it's about expressing my true self. There is something indescribable about the process of putting on makeup. I love the very first stroke of foundation to the very last swipe of powder. See, I believe that makeup is art. It isn't just about making yourself look better - it's about expressing what you're feeling. If I'm in a girly and flirty mood, for example, I'll use a pink shimmery eyeshadow. Or, if I'm feeling bold, I'll create super thick cat-eye liner. Makeup isn't just about the exterior - it is an expression of who we are.

Beauty means many different things to different people. To me, beauty is confidence and self-expression. Beauty is the strength of knowing who you are and what you love. What does beauty mean to you?

1 comment:

  1. nice blog...would you like to follow each other on Bloglovin and GFC.....follow me and leave a comment on my blog and i shall surely be following you back
    http://thegirlsgallery.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I am happy for every comment and always try to answer everybody. If you are waiting for a reply, please check back, I will only answer questions on this blog. Please include your blog link so I can check it out, I love commenting and supporting new blogs! Thank you so much for stopping by! Every single comment is appreciated♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...