Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Shine Into Shimmer

Shimmer: Shine with veiled tremulous or intermittent light.

Well, like I needed to look up THIS in the dictionary. I'm definitely a 'shimmer' sort of girl. So when I saw this post, I HAD to do it. The difficult past was choosing whether to do shimmer-y blush, nails, lip gloss or eye shadow.

I decided, shimmer was most suited for nails. Most women don't really wear shimmer-y makeup to work every day, and it can be a bit much for some people. You can wear this look when you're at work, but it's not in your FACE, but has a subtle beauty.





The polish I used, was one I've had for years - Rimmel London 60 Seconds in shade S30 Star Dust. I can't find a link for this color, as it was a limited edition, but I looked for the closest in color. If you're looking for a similar color click here.

If you want to buy customized shimmer polish click here.

If you don't want to buy a new nail polish and simply have a clear nail polish laying around, you can add some fine glitter to it in order to create your own glittery nail polish, that will add some shimmer and sparkle to a boring top coat nail varnish, which can be applied on top of bare nails, or pre-painted nails.

Personally my favorite shimmer look is the french manicure with shimmer gold tips, like this:


 

To get this look, you can apply a base coat of clear/nude polish. You can either paint the nail polish straight on, or use a makeup sponge to create an 'ombre' glitter effect.

But you can be bolder and use a different color, such as:


 

Shimmer into summer with a beautiful color like this...you'll be getting complements left, right and center.

However, my thing with shimmer polish is...it looks lovely on your nails, but sometimes it practically takes nuclear weaponry to get it completely off.

Here are my top tips for when you want to take it off, and get rid of the sparkle, color and any staining:
  1. Soak your nails in the nail polish remover; because normal gentle wiping with a cotton ball just doesn't cut it. I simply poor some acetone into a bowl and soak them, but there are other ways to do it, such as wrapping your fingers in tinfoil around an acetone soaked cotton bud (kinda like how a nail tech removes acrylics).
  2. do you regular wipey-wipey of the nail. Most of the glitter probably softened while you soaked. Take off the majority this way. Be warned...have a good supply of cotton balls.
  3. wash off your hands, as there is inevitably glitter EVERYWHERE.
  4. If you were wearing the color of more than 4-5 days, and it's stained your tips...you can use a bit of lemon juice or water and baking soda and scrub the nails with an old tooth brush. This should get rid of most of the staining.
Share below how you're rocking the shimmer trend!

Jenny xox

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am happy for every comment and always try to answer everybody. If you are waiting for a reply, please check back, I will only answer questions on this blog. Please include your blog link so I can check it out, I love commenting and supporting new blogs! Thank you so much for stopping by! Every single comment is appreciated♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...