Sunday, May 19, 2013

The Truth 365

Hello Beauties,

As today is the blog's one year anniversary, I have decided to explain a little more about myself.

While many of you may think that Beauty O'holic is just another beauty blog, it is not. I think of it as my personal outlet from my daily life, which I will explain in a bit.



Graduation Dress, $6



Not many of us can tell everyone how it really is in our day-to-day lives; because well, we many be afraid to show the real us. But, with the example of Talia Castellano, a heroic 13-year-old CoverGirl/Cancer patient, I have decided to share my story.

I'm Meredith Crawley, creator and founder of Beauty O'holic. When I created Beauty O'holic, I knew little about makeup, let alone wear much of it. However, I was in desperate need of an outlet. At the end of June 2011, I was in a car accident that left me with seven discs in my back that were either compressed, bulging or herniated. I was a backseat passenger in a car that was rear-ended at a red light.

Thus began two years (so far) of visits to doctors, including neurologists, chiropractors, physical therapists, nerve conduction tests, MRI's, therapeutic massages and emergency room visits for migraines and nerve spasms that aren't controlled by prescription medication.

I have finally been given permission to begin some mild exercises, including walking longer distances and push-ups while my hips are supported by an exercise ball. So far, I can do two push-ups. I've got a long way to go, considering just 2 1/2 years ago, I could do 67 push-ups in a minute and run an 11-minute mile.


You see, the accident occurred six months after I graduated from the policy academy. I was scheduled to take the state certification exam the following week. I was recommended I not take the test, since I was dealing with back pain, but I had committed to being there, so I went, not surprisingly, I didn't pass.


It wasn't long after that a neurologist told me the chances of my ever becoming a police officer were "highly unlikely." If I weren't already depressed from dealing with the pain, this news threw me into a tailspin.


I needed an outlet and I needed it fast. Within four months, I no longer felt like myself and quickly sought out a family counselor. I needed someone to vent to, but I also didn't want added medication to my growing list of pain killers and muscle relaxers.


It was another seven months before I decided to create Beauty O'holic. Within those seven months, I sought numerous employment opportunities, volunteer opportunities, exercise modifications, etc. While venting was occasionally working, I needed something more, something to motivate and keep me looking forward. Beauty O'holic gave me the chance to keep writing, keep growing, even though my personal life came to a screeching holt.


I signed up for a semester of classes to keep busy, as well as starting a beauty blog as my new hobby, while I continued to go to doctor's appointments multiple times a week. I continued taking classes towards my degree. I found a volunteer opportunity at a local police department. I knew I needed to be around police officers in some capacity, even if I couldn't be one. It's been a good move as they've all been very motivating.


The accident anniversary came around and still no good news, just more doctor visits. So, I continued my new weekly routine: class, homework, volunteering and short distance walking.


Within six months, I decided to employ some volunteer writers to help build readership for Beauty O'holic, as well as help the writers gain notability in the beauty blog world. During this time, I was taking my last semester of classes. I recently graduated with an Associate's Degree in Criminal Justice Technology and a Certificate in Homeland Security.



Graduation/Birthday Cake

While my body has definitely taken a toll from the accident and I can no longer become a police officer, this time has allowed me to branch out and learn new things.

I would like to thank everyone who has followed Beauty O'holic thus far and hope you continue. Your support has helped me through this difficult time. If you ever have any ideas or suggestions, please send them along. I want Beauty O'holic to provide information you are interested in.

Last, but not least, I would again like to thank my writers, Lainey, Amanda, Darci, Vicky, Makeup Thug, Lindsey J. and Deanna. You are the biggest motivation a girl could have!

Fashionably Yours,

Meredith

2 comments:

  1. This is an inspiring post, and I relate to the aspect of blogging as an outlet - it's really an amazing life experience. 'I blog not because I want to, but because I have to' is kind of my motto.
    Look forward to guest posting (:

    ReplyDelete

I am happy for every comment and always try to answer everybody. If you are waiting for a reply, please check back, I will only answer questions on this blog. Please include your blog link so I can check it out, I love commenting and supporting new blogs! Thank you so much for stopping by! Every single comment is appreciated♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...