- If you have porcelain skin, look for a lipstick shade that is a brownish pink or soft apricot, cheeks should be in a pale peach, apricot or very soft natural-blush pink and for eyes, stick to cool neutrals or soft pastels. Shades of gray can also work for an evening makeup look.
- If you have fair skin, look for lipstick colors in warm neutrals like nudes and pinks, a pink shade for the cheeks (anything from brownish pink to fuchsia) and for eye makeup, you can wear almost any shade in the warm and cool tone range. Just avoid anything yellowing or orange and keep the shades muted.
- Have olive skin? You should look for coral and peachy pinks or berry, plum and browns for lipsticks, coral pink and soft orange tones for blush and neutrals within the earthy brown and mossy green shades for eye makeup.
- Dark olive skin tones with a dark, warm color to warm the lips, apricot and peachy pinks on the cheeks and warm gold, peach, olive or plum tones on your eyes.
- Dark skin looks great with almost any deep shade (think berry, rose, coral, coffee) on the lips, plums and apricots on the cheeks and bronze, burnt orange, olive, sapphire and plum colors are flattering for eye makeup.
Taking good care of your skin is the first step towards successfully creating any desired makeup look.
1. Hydrate and Correct: First, prepare the skin by moisturizing. Follow with a citrus-based color correct to counteract blemishes. Use in conjunction with the apricot shades to further brighten and even the skin tone.
2. Apply Foundation: Next, apply a light-reflecting sheer liquid foundation and use a concealer only where you need it most. If you have a particularly oily t-zone, dust with translucent powder to set.
3. Add Cheek Color: Apply a blend of sandy beige and pink powder blush to the apples of your cheeks and blend along the cheekbone. To add some extra warmth to skin, finish with a light dusting of bronzer along the edges of your face and gently across the bridge of the nose, where the sunlight would naturally fall.
4. Add Eye Makeup: Brush on neutral beige eye shadow and blend shimmery mocha eye shadow on top, working it from the lash line to the socket crease. For a more sultry look, blend plum eye shadow into the hollow of the socket focusing on the outer corners. Using a fine eye liner brush, apply a thin line of shimmery mocha shadow just under the roots of the lower lashes and blend to touch in the inner corners to open up your eyes.
5. Enhance Eyes: For added definition, draw along the upper lash line with a black eye liner pencil and thicken the line gradually from the middle of the eyelid towards the outer corner of the eye, extending it slightly beyond the eye and curving it upwards to create a subtle flick. Draw along the inner rim of the lower lid to elongate the eye. Curl lashes and apply mascara.
6. Paint Your Pout: Apply silky lip gloss in shell pink for a touch of color and a glossy finish.
See you next time,