Saturday, December 29, 2012

VoxBox Review - Quaker Medleys

Hi, I'm Darci.



Meredith asked me to do a product review on Quaker Real Medleys Cherry Pistachio Oatmeal, which she received from Influenster. I love oatmeal and I've tried it many forms...quick cooking, steel cut and instant packets...so she didn't have to ask me twice!

The first thing I noticed about this 'instant' oatmeal is that it's not the flat little paper packages you can toss in your purse as you are running out the door, but has its own sturdy little cup to cook in and eat from...kind of like a breakfast version of Cup O Noodles. They cost around $2.39 each.



The cup felt light and the serving size looked pretty skimpy.  I added the water, microwaved it according to the directions and stirred. It was very thick...a real 'stick to your ribs' type breakfast. At this point, I usually add more water or milk to my oatmeal, but I wanted to give you a review based on Quaker's 'recommended serving suggestion'.



My first bite was a pleasant surprise. Not only did you get the crunch of the almond halves and pistachio pieces, but there was a slight essence of...orange? Barely there, but a nice brightness to the hearty oat, barley, wheat and rye blend followed by a tart bite of dried cherries. The taste buds were all on high alert by this time!

I have to admit I was originally disappointed by the small amount of food for 290 calories, 8 grams of fat and 49 grams of carbs, but honestly, it filled me up and I wasn't hungry for hours.

The combination of grains was filling and I think the variety of flavors and textures helped to avoid the 'mouth hunger' of just wanting 'something more'.

Comparing it to other Quaker Instant Oatmeal, it doesn't fare as well when it comes to nutritional breakdown. Reviewing some of the others in packets, the highest I found was Dino Eggs Brown Sugar version with 190 calories, 3.5 grams of fat and 37 carbs per serving.

The cost is considerably higher, both nutritionally and in the pocketbooks, so I doubt I'd make them a regular breakfast selection, but for the occasional breakfast on the run, they're definitely a tasty option.

Talk to you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am happy for every comment and always try to answer everybody. If you are waiting for a reply, please check back, I will only answer questions on this blog. Please include your blog link so I can check it out, I love commenting and supporting new blogs! Thank you so much for stopping by! Every single comment is appreciated♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...